2014 Changes to Apprentice PayOctober 2, 2013
On 22 August, 2013 the Fair Work Commission made a decision to increase apprentice pay rates under a number of modern awards.
The changes will start from 1 January 2014, and some will be phased in over 2 years.
What are the changes?
- 1st and 2nd year pay rates for new apprentices will begin to increase on 1 January 2014.
- Adult apprentice rates will also be added to modern awards that currently don’t have any.
Other changes include:
- Adding competency based wage progression to some awards.
- Adding school-based apprentice provisions to some awards.
- Adding wage protections for adult apprentices who have worked for their employer before starting an apprenticeship.
- Adjustments to award conditions about travel costs, training time, training fees and attendance at training.
Please note, modern awards haven’t been changed yet. The Commission has asked the parties to give draft changes by 30 September. After this they will update the awards.
- The pay increases only affect apprentices that start an apprenticeship from 1 January 2014. Current apprentices aren’t covered.
- The adjustments to award conditions about travel costs, training time, fees and attendance at training will affect all apprentices, regardless of when they started.
Where can I find more information?
You can view a copy of the Commission’s decision summary for more information on the changes via clicking on this link: